Skip to main content

To Be...Or To Seem To Be?

Now, all this hullaballoo (noi) about Nigerian terrorism is really getting on my nerves. Apparently Nigerians have an unintelligent preoccupation with keeping up appearances (explains why consumer loans are so popular among middle-class bankers).

Personally, I am more worried about our reputation as fraudsters (or "419-ers") than as terrorists. Why? Because we ARE 419-ers!

You see, a reputation needs to feed off actual reality to be sustained. I mean, look at the numbers. The probability of running into a Nigerian terrorist, 1 in 140 million. Probability of a Nigerian fraudster? Just check your email for the next "system update" email from "Interswitchng.com"

The problem is not the Nigerian reputation. The problem is the Nigerian. The Nigerian looking to score the next big government contract, or that believes anyone that works in an office from 8-5 is "rich" and should not mind sparing the "boys" some change.

I believe we over-estimate the importance of America to our existence as humans (I remember the annoying uproar over Obama's non-visitation). I mean, I have relatives abroad. US, UK, Saudi Arabia, the works. Honestly? I'd rather stay here. We seem so preoccupied with staring at Big Brother US for guidance that we do not see the plethora of guidance being offered us from countries that, a couple of decades ago, were considered 3rd world like us. Now they are not.

Look at China, Singapore, South Korea, Dubai, India and even South Africa. Why are we so worried about not being issued visa to enter America when we can easily learn from Asia?

I don't get it. I work in a multinational and the interesting bit is, I don't see so many Americans. I mean, who is an American anyway? He's simply an African, Asian, Arab or Jew who has learnt the system of civilization within the borders of the said country. And the system isn't so perfect either.

Look at the ongoing recession. The only reason we feel it's global is because the US and UK were simultaneously affected. There have been economic upheavals all around us for ages. The Nigerian Stock Market has crashed in the past and nobody really noticed (I believe it's the noise of the current crash that's keeping the market down right now but that's the subject of another discussion altogether).

Nigerians should ease off on the international PR and live the talk. Fix your issues. Let there be light and there will be industry. Let there be security and there will be less crime. Get the morons out of political office and we'll create a system that'll beat American so-called democracy.

I'm not anti-US. I just think the belief in "God's own country" has superceded the belief in God. The average Nigerian teen is better equiped to handle life than his American counterpart. We just need the right attitude.

In parting, no one is going to like you just because you "say" you are likeable. Three 2009 Box Office hits mention Nigeria in bad light: X-Men Origins, District 9 and Avatar. These movies were way before any Nigerian tried to blow up a plane. Your reputation is already soiled. Deal with it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should we increase the Minimum Wage?

So why do I think the Nigerian government should increase the minimum wage?  #Storytime Why the Government Should Pay More In 2002, I was in Lagos searching for an internship position. The average pay for interns at the time ranged from N3,000 to N5,000. There was a popular telecoms company that always took on interns and paid N3,000. That was my fall-back option but my goal was to find a place that paid N5,000. I scoured the whole of Lagos, walking door-to-door, office-to-office, dropping off what was my resume at the time. You have to remember this was 2002, before Facebook , LinkedIn or Nairaland.com . I didn't even have a mobile phone. Eventually I got an interview at this company in Victoria Island. They offered to pay me N6,000 but I hated the thought of working there. Why? First thing, everyone wore uniforms in this place. And when I say everyone, that includes 40-year old men with wives at home. The company manufactured electronic cards not medical equipment! Why the

Africa & The Western Response

This is a response to an article from TheGuardian written by a westerner, whining in typical altruistic fashion, about the inadequacies of the handouts from the western world to underprivileged entitled African nations. Well I am from one such "poor deserving African nation" and I say it's about time we learned to clean up our own messes. All my life, I have observed African countries waiting for "the Western response" to our own problems. The Nigerian president publicly opined that "America will know" when US dollars are "stolen" anywhere in the world as it is "their money", meaning it is somehow the responsibility of the US government to investigate corruption in Africa. Americans do not mess around with the safety of its citizens. The Ebola missionaries flown to US for treatment are just an example. Then again, there was the captured US soldier that was gotten in exchange for 5 Taliban soldiers (yes, 5 terrorists in excha

Uzoma Okere: A Case Among Many

This is a note that I published on facebook two years ago after an unfortunate incident in Victoria Island, Lagos where a young lady was physically assaulted in broad daylight by military men. A few days ago, after being piqued at the sight of a military man violating the recently passed state law prohibiting the use of motorbikes on the Third Mainland bridge in Lagos, I decided to publish this article to a wider audience. ...................................................................................................................................................... November 5th, 2008, I felt elated. For apparently no reason. I mentioned this to my boss and he said it was just hope. Hope that if an african can rule God's own country, then there's no limit for me. I replied that there was no way that directly transcends to me here, in Nigeria. Obama being the US president doesn't stop some cretin in a uniform under the guise of being a police "officer" h